Fred Ormand's Publications
Fred Ormand is a world-renowned clarinetist retired from the faculty of the University of Michigan's School of Music. Recognized as an outstanding educator, scholar and performer, he is the author of two books, a featured artist on several recordings, and the publisher of many works by Ponchielli.
Read about Mr. Ormand's:
Books * Recordings * Ponchielli Editions for Sale
Mr. Ormand's homepage.
NEW in 2017: Mr. Ormand's critically-acclaimed Fundamentals for Fine Clarinet Playing. Read Thomas Gilmore Masse's review, and then order your copy.
Fundamentals for Fine Clarinet Playing is available from Muncy Winds or directly from the author, by phone: (785) 856-3065 or email: email@example.com. In the first printing of Fundamentals for Clarinet Playing, some of the lines of the musical staves are extremely faint. If you have a copy of the book with this printing error, please contact the author.
Mr. Ormand is also the author of the essential guide, The Single Reed Adjustment Manual (2000). The Single Reed Adjustment Manual is available from Van Cott Information Services, Inc. or from Luyben Music.
Mr. Ormand is featured on the following recordings:
- Il Convegno: Premiere Recording of Solo Works for Winds by Amilcare Ponchielli. Danacord Records: DADOCD 471.
- Extensions of the Tradition by William C. Banfield with Lynette Diers Cohen, Fred Ormand, Ellen Weckler, and Harry Sargous. Innova Recordings.
- Hindemith: Sonatas for Woodwinds with Fred Ormand, Leone Buyse, Harry Sargous, and Anton Nel. Available from Amazon.com.
- Of Shepherds, Romance and Love - 19th Century Songs for Soprano, Clarinet, and Piano with Julia Broxholm, Martin Katz, and Fred Ormand. Danacord Records - DACOCD 538; available by contacting Fred Ormand by phone: (785) 856-3065 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transcience - A Musical World of Works for Soprano, Clarinet, and Piano with Julia Broxholm, Martin Katz, and Fred Ormand. Equilbrium 85.
Ponchielli Editions for Sale
Contact Fred Ormand for purchase, by phone: (785) 856-3065 or email: email@example.com.
- Il Convegno (recording available; see Recordings)
- For two clarinets with original full orchestra accompaniment
- For two clarinets and piano
- For two clarinets and accompaniment for modern band, based on Ponchielli's band accompaniment
- For two clarinets and string orchestra accompaniment, based on version created in 19th century by an anonymous editor
- Ricordanze della Traviata
- For flute, oboe, clarinet and piano
- Paolo e Virginia
- For clarinet, violin and piano
- For flute, oboe, Eb clarinet, and Bb clarinet, with piano accompaniment: a complete edition, including the finale and the variation for oboe that was eliminated
- For flute, oboe, Eb clarinet, and Bb clarinet, with full orchestra accompaniment
- Gran Duetto Concertato
- For Eb clarinet and Bb clarinet, with piano accompaniment, based on La Sonnambula, by Luigi Bassi
- For Eb clarinet and Bb clarinet, with modern band accompaniment, based on Ponchielli's original band accompaniment
Forthcoming Ponchielli Editions
Fantasies with band accompaniment by Ponchielli
- Fantasia per Clarino sulla 'Beatrice di Tenda' by Domenico Mirco, for Eb clarinet
- Variazioni per Clarinetto sopra 'L'elisir d'amore' di Donizetti by Ernesto Cavallini
- Concerto per Clarinetto sui 'Puritani' by Luigi Bassi
- Concerto per Clarnietto by Domenico Mirco
This page most recently updated on 27 October, 2018.